Untitled Document
About Us
Estate Planning
Advance Directives
Power of Attorney
Trust Administration
Relationship Agreements

Brian Neil Burg, Esq.
Fullerton, California

(714) 525-1134


 Member of:
State Bar of California
Orange County Bar Association
Fullerton Chamber of Commerce
Mensa International
Esperanto USA
What Will Happen If I Die?

Many people are under the mistaken impression that if you die without a will, then the State will get everything.  That is not true at all.  The State, however, does have a say in what happens.  There is a complex scheme that determines who gets what after you die, and the legal term for that is "intestate succession."  In many cases, intestate succession is just what you want: community property goes to the surviving spouse, and separate property partly to the spouse and partly to the children (when they turn 18).  But that may not be what you want to happen.  You may want more control over the actual transfer of assets (to whom, when, and where), and you may want to specify different levels of control for specific assets or for specific beneficiaries.  For instance, would you actually want $400,000 in cash and assets going to an 18-year-old, irrespective of his or her level of maturity?  If not, then you need to be thinking of an estate plan

The two main estate planning tools for effectuating your needs and wishes are wills and trusts.

The information presented on this website is not intended to be a source of legal advice or a comprehensive explanation of the law. You should not act upon or rely on information at this or any other website without the advice of a competent California estate planning attorney, especially if you reside outside the State of California, where we are not licensed to practice law and do not give legal advice. This website is intended for educational and informational purposes only.